Inflation is hitting many consumers’ pocketbooks this year, and Waupun Utilities is helping customers stay ahead of the high costs by providing ways to reduce energy use over the summer months.
“We normally see a rise in overall customer demand for electricity in the warmer months due to an increase in air conditioner usage,” shared Steve Brooks, General Manager. “We want to equip our customers with knowledge on how they can help contain utility costs this summer.”
Follow the tips below to reduce energy use and keep bills in check over the coming months:
- Get a professional air conditioner tune-up and replace dirty filters. A well-working air conditioner can save 5-15% on cooling costs.
- Close shades and blinds during the day to block some of the sun’s warmth.
- Set thermostats to 76 degrees when home, and 80 degrees when away.
- Install smart thermostats to help with temperature control. Residential and general service electric customers can qualify for $50 discount from Focus on Energy.
- Run ceiling fans counterclockwise to create a cool breeze. Air movement can make a room feel four degrees cooler.
- Switch out incandescent bulbs with LED bulbs, which use less energy and give off less heat.
- Only run dishwashers when full and turn off the dry cycle, allowing dishes to air dry instead.
- Hang clothes outside to dry on a line when practical, instead of using the clothes dryer.
- Sign up for MyAccount to manage energy use and set notification alerts for new bills and high usage trends.
“As always, the utility remains focused on delivering reliable, affordable, responsible energy for our customers,” stated Brooks. “As the community’s locally owned utility, we want to support our customers and keep money in their hands as best we can. These energy saving tips can help.”